I had the privilege of being asked to make some cupcakes for a bridal shower recently and one of the flavours requested was carrot!
A good carrot cake should be very moist and flavoursome! Topped with some cream cheese frosting and its complete! I always say any cake which contains vegetables should make us feel less guilty when eating it because it contains one of our 5 day, right?
Here is what you will need:
225g grated carrots
130g caster sugar
120g plain flour
120ml vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp vanilla extract
- Beat eggs and sugar together for several minutes then carefully add the oil and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into the egg mixture and mix again until well combined.
- Pour the carrot in and use a spatula to mix it in until well incorporated.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon to pour the mixture into cupcake cases (filling about two-thirds of the way up the paper)
- Bake cake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 160 degrees (gas mark 4)
- Once baked allow the cakes to cool in the tray for 10 minutes; allow it to cool completely before icing.
For the cream cheese frosting you will need:
200g cream cheese
1tsb vanilla extract
Food colouring (optional – I used classikool satsuma orange)
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix for several minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy and not watery.
You can ice the cake by using a spoon or a nozzle. Here’s my finished product:
I know the ladies at the bridal shower will enjoy these and so will you! So get baking!