Many meals can be carb heavy, so I started seeking good, low-carb but nutritious alternatives. A friend of mine pointed me to courgette spaghetti! It was so simple and tasty and can be substituted for any pasta recipe. There are only 40 calories in a medium courgette, which means you can have as much as you like. It’s also delicious with chilli or bolognese!
Here’s the first recipe I tried! You’ll love it and I promise you won’t miss the pasta!
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 plum tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 handfuls rocket
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli, sliced
1 onion, diced
Juice of a lemon ( juice)
1 tbs paprika
1 heaped tsp dried basil
Salt & pepper
To make the spaghetti you ideally need a julienne peeler (as shown in the photo). If you don’t have one and want to buy one (it’s worth it!!) here is a link:
- Use the julienne peeler to peel your courgette into spaghetti strands
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large frying pan on a low- medium heat, and add your courgette spaghetti. Heat through, stirring occasionally, and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in another frying pan, and fry the onion, garlic and tomato purée for 30 seconds.
- Add the chilli and tomatoes, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the prawns, paprika and dried basil with 2 tablespoons of water and cook for around 3 minutes, or until pink and cooked through.
- Then add your tomato prawns to the courgette spaghetti, and toss together until coated.
- Take off the heat, and stir through the rocket. Season to taste.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon.
Tasty isn’t it?! Enjoy!!