This is my second favourite cake! I love the lemony, sweet and moist texture of this cake!
It’s so simple to make and you only need 5 ingredients!
Here’s what you’ll need:
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g self-raising flour
215g caster sugar
finely grated zest 1 lemon
For the drizzle topping
juice 1½ lemons
85g caster sugar
- Measure and pour all the ingredients for the cake in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with a whisk for 1 minute until the the ingredients are well incoperated.
- Grease your baking tin with some butter and a dusting of flour so the cake doesn’t stick to the tin once cooked.
- Pour the batter into the tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, I did mine for 35 minutes.
- 2 minutes before the cake is done, make your lemon drizzle. Add the sugar and lemon juice and mix. Don’t worry about the seeds, you can remove them after.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping and the cake will be moist. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. This cake will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Enjoy with some fresh custard or clotted cream!