Coconut rice is a dish prepared by soaking white rice in coconut milk. As both the coconut and the rice-plant are commonly found in the tropics all-around the world, coconut rice is found in many cultures throughout the world, spanning across the equator from Southeast Asia to the Caribbean. It’s particularly good with any Thai green curry or Jamaican curry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
400g Thai jasmine rice
250ml coconut cream
Pinch of salt
Spring onion, to garnish
- Rinse the rice in a bowl to remove excess starch.
- Pour the coconut cream and 350ml water into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Tip into the pan and add the salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on a low heat for 15-20 mins, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Kim’s tip: stir the rice occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and leave the rice in the covered pan for 5 mins before serving.
- Oil the inside of a mould (I used the denby range by James Martin), press the rice into it and tip it out onto a plate.
- Garnish with spring onion (it adds a different texture to the dish and it complements the rice very will).
Serve with a curry for the perfect meal.
Enjoy!!! This rice is so tasty and creamy.