Couscous a type of North African semolina in granules made from crushed durum wheat. It can be a spicy dish made by steaming or soaking couscous and adding meat, vegetables, or fruit.
I’ll be making Cajun spiced chicken couscous with apricots and chickpeas. An amazing one pot dish which will be a delight for your taste buds.
Here’s what you’ll need:
220g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
250g chicken breast, diced
200ml hot chicken stock
10 dried apricots
2 tbsps Cajun seasoning
1 tbsp chicken seasoning
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
- Dice and season the chicken breasts with Cajun and chicken seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan with the tomato purée.
- Cook the onion for 1-2 mins just until softened.
- Add the chicken and fry for 7-10 mins until cooked through and the onions have turned golden.
- Tip in the apricots, chickpeas and couscous, then pour over the stock and stir once.
- Cover with a lid or tightly cover the pan with foil and leave for about 5 mins on a low heat until the couscous has soaked up all the stock and is soft.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of butter and stir into the dish.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy this meal, subtle spicing with the sweet taste of apricots. Perfectly balanced dish, add a slice of avocado for another flavour combination.